Blacksheep Adventure Sports’ ski 2-day ski mountaineering course is designed to give you all the skills you need to tackle challenging, big-mountain lines with confidence. If you’re an experienced backcountry skier that wants to take your skills to the next level then this is the course for you.
Our Ski Mountaineering course is typically held in the backcountry behind Blackcomb and can include skiing routes like the Cham Chutes, Decker Main, 9th Hole or the Finger Chutes. Bootpacking up the Stairmaster to ski lines off of Phalanx is also possible. The exact areas used for instruction are of course decided during the course and are based on snow, avalanche and weather conditions giving students the chance to evaluate different options.
The course is taught by extremely knowledgeable ACMG Ski & Mountain Guides. These are the people that ski steeps for a living and help the pros asses the lines you see in the movies!
- Assessing steep lines
- Steep snow climbing techniques
- Bootpacking & tracksetting
- Snow anchors & rappelling techniques for steep entrances
- Ski techniques for steeps & couloirs
- Glacier travel and crevasse rescue review
- Mountain hazard assessment & risk management
- ACMG Certified Ski or Mountain Guide
- Group & Technical Equipment (ropes, harnesses, crevasse rescue gear)
- Ski lift passes (if required)
- Backcountry Ski/Snowboard equipment
- Personal Safety Equipment
- Food & Transportation