A Squamish based intro to backcountry touring that will prep you for a winter of adventure!
The West Coast has some of the best ski touring in Canada from slackcountry laps behind Whistler-Blackcomb to the amazing Tantalus Range, Duffy Lake area and much, much more! If you’ve ever been curious about getting off the ski hill and into the backcountry then this is the course for you. Designed specifically to give you the skills needed to take your skiing into the backcountry this course will introduce you to backcountry touring equipment, avalanche safety equipment, uphill track setting, ski line assessment, mountain weather, navigation and more. Our goal will be to make you confident in your ability to join friends in the backcountry or even lead trips into simple terrain.
This course pairs well with our AST 1 which focuses more on the avalanche safety aspect of backcountry travel and less on the actual travel and equipment.
- Backcountry touring equipment set-up and use
- Avalanche safety equipment & use
- Companion rescue
- Mountain weather basics
- Backcountry navigation basics
- Reading Avalanche Canada’s Bulletin
- Uphill track setting
- Ski line assessment
- Safe travel in avalanche terrain
- 2 Days Training with ACMG Certified Guides
- Group Equipment
- Backcountry Ski/Snowboard Equipment
- Personal Safety Equipment (transceiver, probe & shovel, etc.)
Equipment List: Intro to Backcountry Touring