Blacksheep Adventure Sports’ Squamish AST 1 Course
Backcountry skiing, splitboarding and snowshoeing are exciting sports but without proper knowledge, enthusiasts often take unnecessary risks. Educate yourself with an investment in our AST 1 Avalanche Skills Training Course! Proper training will make your winter travels in avalanche terrain safer and more enjoyable. Our avalanche safety instructors are members of the Canadian Avalanche Association and Guides. Their extensive personal experience in winter guiding, avalanche operations and forecasting will add an extra dimension of interest to your training.
This is a hands-on avalanche awareness training course featuring practical field experience augmented with one day of classroom theory and discussions. Our AST 1 course is designed to give a solid grounding in the essentials and is based on the requirements set out by Avalanche Canada while introducing you to the backcountry ski areas around Squamish.
This AST 1 course is base out of the Squamish and Whistler area north of Vancouver. The classroom session is held in Squamish on the first day of the course followed by a day in the field putting our new knowledge into practice. The exact location of the field day will be based on current conditions and weather but we often head into one of the common backcountry ski areas around Squamish such as Red Heather, Olson Creek, Metal Dome, etc.
Day 1 – Classroom Day:
- 9:00am: Classroom Session
- 12:00pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00pm: Classroom Session
- 4:00pm: Day 1 wrap-up
Day 2 – Field Day:
- 7:30am: Morning Classroom Session
- 8:30am: Head out the door for a day of ski touring & learning
- 4:00pm: Back at meeting location for pm debrief
- Avalanche Canada Certified Instructor
- Backcountry Avalanche Awareness Book
- Avaluator Booklet with Slope Assessment Field Card
- Companion Rescue Field Card
- AST 1 Certificate upon Successful Completion
- Transportation to/from meeting points.
- Personal ski & safety equipment (transceiver, probe & shovel, etc.).
- Rentals are available upon request
- A $100 deposit per person is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 30 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.