This two-day crevasse rescue and glacier travel course is designed to give you the skills you’ll need to ski or snowboard in glaciated terrain this winter. There are huge expanses of glaciers in the Coast Range from the areas just off Blackcomb to the Tantalus and Garibaldi ranges and you don’t want to run into a problem without the gear and skills to solve it yourself when your’re out there.
This course will deliver all the information that you need from the basics to some more advanced topics at a pace that works for each student. Some prior knowledge and experience working with ropes is definitly an asset but not at all required.
- Costs: $199 per person
- Prerequisites: None
- Guide: Monte Johnston, ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Included: 2 days of instruction, required group gear
- Excluded: Gear rentals, food, transportation
- Location: Squamish & Brandywine
- Dates & Availability: November 21 & 22, 2020 (6 spots available)
- 8:30am – Sign waivers, review goals for the day, discuss some general concepts:
- Summer vs. winter
- When to rope up & How to rope up
- What to do in an emergency
- 9:30am – Head to the cliff for practical sessions on crevasse rescue:
- Practice roping up
- Review equipment & systems
- Run through rescue scenarios
- Rope ascension / self rescue
- 4:00pm – Wrap-up at the cliff & walk back to the Adventure Centre for a debrief
Day 2: Field Day
- 7:00am – Quick gear check & drive to the trailhead (4×4’s required)
- Hike up to the south glacier & rope up
- Travel over to the north glacier
- Work on safe travel technique through complicated glaciers
- Review snow & ice anchors
- Practice a “real” rescue in an actual crevasse
- 5:00pm – Back at the vehicles for a debrief
- A $75 deposit per person is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 30 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.