Blacksheep Adventure Sports Weekend AST 2 Course
The Avalanche Skills Training 2 – AST 2 course is your next step in avalanche skills development after completing an introductory course. To fully enjoy the backcountry it’s crucial you understand avalanche phenomena, recognize the terrain where avalanches occur and find routes that minimize risk. Our AST 2 course addresses these issues over a comprehensive four day training period over two consecutive weekends.
If you’re a serious backcountry skier, ski mountaineer or split-boarder who wants to build a solid knowledge base to safely expand your backcountry horizons, then this is the avalanche awareness training course for you. It will be a valuable investment in your mountain safety training and will significantly increase your avalanche knowledge and experience.
This is a hands-on avalanche awareness training course featuring extensive practical field experience augmented with one day of classroom theory and discussions. This avalanche ski training course builds on the knowledge and skills learned in the AST 1 by exploring more advanced topics and snow tests. The curriculum is designed to give a solid grounding in the essentials and is based on the requirements set out by Avalanche Canada. Your instructors are certified guides who are seasoned in ski touring, heliskiing and avalanche forecasting. This program is suitable for those who have taken the AST 1 Avalanche Skills Training Course in the past, or for experienced backcountry skiers looking to expand their skills.
Length: 4 days
Cost: $599 per person
Dates & Availability:
– December 14, 15, 21 & 22 Email me for other potential dates
This course is base out of the Squamish and Whistler area. The classroom day is held in Squamish followed by 3 field days. The exact location of the field days will be based on current conditions and weather but you can expect 1 or 2 days off of Whistler-Blackcomb. Lift tickets are not included in the cost of the course so be sure to let me know if you need some.
Day 1 – Classroom Day:
- 9:00am: Classroom Session
- 12:00pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00pm: Classroom Session
- 4:00pm: Day 1 wrap-up
Days 2, 3 & 4 – Field Days:
- 8:00am: Morning Classroom Session
- 9:30am: Head out the door for a day of ski touring & learning
- 4:00pm: Back at meeting location for pm debrief
A full-time Skiing, Mountaineering & Climbing Guide Monte calls Squamish, BC home. After graduating university with an engineering degree he found he wasn’t satisfied only chasing his passion for the mountains on weekends and evenings. This led him away from working behind a desk into a life of guiding, avalanche forecasting and movie/film safety work. Monte has since climbed and skied all over the world. In the summer he can be found guiding anything from remote mountain peaks to warm sun kissed rock across BC and Alberta. In the winter Monte splits his time between heli-skiing in Bella Coola and ski touring in Japan, the Coast Range and any other cool places he can find some powder.
- ACMG Certified Guide/Instructor
- AST 2 Program Materials
- Transportation to/from meeting points.
- Personal ski & safety equipment (transceiver, probe & shovel, etc.).
- Lift passes for Whilster-Blackcomb (available for purchase
- A $200 deposit per person is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 30 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.