Ashlu-Elaho Divide Traverse: All the amazing fun of a ski traverse, none of the heavy backpacks!
This 3-day high alpine ski route follows a series of ridges and glaciers across the divide between the Ashlu and Elaho rivers. Hard to reach and seldom attempted this traverse is ideal for really getting away from the crowds, enjoying the quiet stillness of the backcountry all while putting your unique signature in some pristine snow.
The terrain along the Ashlu-Elaho divide skis like it was designed for touring! Every beautiful slope down leads to a ramp back up. The only hard part is getting up there.
For this trip we’ll utilize the helicopter to drop off all our camping equipment at the start of the trip before getting out at the start of the traverse. We then spend the day high up in the alpine enjoying the trek and ski to the camp with just our day packs. The next day (or two depending on the package) is spent enjoying all the amazing ski runs and alpine peaks around camp. Then, on the final day, we pack-up our camp in the morning and leave it for the helicopter while we complete our traverse. That way we complete the Ashlu-Elaho never having to carry a heavy backpack!
Designed as an amazing ski traverse that doesn’t require any big packs and hauling camps. If you’d rather ski amazing alpine, glaciated runs than schlep heavy packs around in the mountains then this just might be the ticket!
- Meeting at the Squamish Airport to complete waivers and finalize packing
- Fly up into the Ashlu-Elaho divide & drop off our camping equipment
- Backtrack to the start of the traverse & get dropped off at Zig Zag Peak
- Ski a few amazing runs as we work our way over to camp
- Set-up camp and have a great dinner
Day 2 (&3):
- Have an amazing breakfast in the mountains as the sun rises
- Head out for a day of skiing the peaks and valleys around
- Get back to camp for a great dinner and maybe a glass of wine
- Pack up the camp in the morning after breakfast
- Continue the traverse skiing a few more amazing runs on the way
- Get picked up by the helicopter, grab our camp & head back to the hanger
This is an intermediate ski touring program. You must have some ski touring experience and be an intermediate downhill skier. Winter camping experience is not needed. If you’re unsure of your ability feel free to contact us to discuss the trip.
A full-time Mountaineering, Climbing & Skiing Guide Monte calls Squamish, BC home. After graduating university with an engineering degree, he found he wasn’t satisfied only chasing his passion for the mountains on weekends and evenings. This led him away from working behind a desk into a life of guiding, climbing and skiing. In the summer he can be found guiding anything from remote mountain peaks to warm sun kissed rock across BC and Alberta. In the winter Monte splits his time between heli-skiing in Bella Coola and ski touring in Japan, the Coast Range and any other cool places he can find some powder.
- 1 hr of Helicopter Flight Time
- Pre-trip planning & support
- ACMG/IFMGA Certified Guide
- Breakfasts & Dinners while in the field
- Group safety equipment
- Winter camping equipment (stoves, tent, etc.)
- Permits & Insurance
- Black Sheep Adventure Sports hat
- Personal equipment (some rentals are available)
- Lunches & Snacks
- Transportation to/from Squamish
- Accommodation in Squamish
- Trip cancellation, travel & medical insurance
- Personal equipment (sleeping bag, skis, etc.)
- Extra days due to weather
- A $300 deposit is due upon booking
- The final payment due 20 days prior to the trip
- Trips subject to 5% GST
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver