Tantalus Ski Traverse
A lesser known but still ultra-classic coastal ski tour, the Tantalus Ski Traverse is a must do. It follows the beautiful Tantalus Range, just west of Squamish, through a high alpine link-up of glaciers and ridges before a long final decent down into the valley. Even better, because the access is difficult there’s seldom anyone to be found in the entire zone!
The Tantalus Ski Traverse can be done valley bottom to valley bottom but that requires a lot of slogging through the brush with skis on your back! So, to reduce the suffer factor and maximize the fun we’ll kick start the traverse with a bump into Lake Lovelywater and make it a 2-day traverse.
Trip Itinerary – 2 Day Trip:
The evening before the trip we’ll meet up to sign some waivers, review gear and shuttle a vehicle. Then, first thing the next morning we catch a helicopter ride up to the aptly named Lake Lovelywater. After the heli leaves and the valley is quiet we skin up and over the Alpha- Serratus Col for a long, north facing ski down. Then one hike up deposits us by the Haberl Hut where we’ll camp for the night.
The next morning, after some fresh coffee, we continue the traverse to the north around Dione, Tantalus, Zenith and past Pelion. Once there we have an amazing 1200m ski run down into the valley before skinning & walking out to the cars.
- Airbag Pack: $49
- Tent, pack, etc. are available at no charge. Contact us for details
- Meals: Breakfast & Dinner are already included, Lunches are $20/day
This is an intermediate ski mountaineering program. You must have some ski touring experience and be an intermediate to advanced downhill skier. Winter camping experience is not needed. If you’re unsure of your ability feel free to contact us to discuss the trip.
A full-time Mountaineering, Climbing & Skiing Guide Monte calls Squamish, BC home. After graduating university with an engineering degree, he found he wasn’t satisfied only chasing his passion for the mountains on weekends and evenings. This led him away from working behind a desk into a life of guiding, climbing and skiing. In the summer he can be found guiding anything from remote mountain peaks to warm sun kissed rock across BC and Alberta. In the winter Monte splits his time between heli-skiing in Bella Coola and ski touring in Japan, the Coast Range and any other cool places he can find some powder.
- Pre-trip planning & support
- ACMG/IFMGA Certified Guide
- Breakfasts & Dinners while in the field
- Group safety equipment
- Group winter camping equipment (stoves, tents, etc.)
- Permits & Insurance
- Personal equipment (some rentals are available)
- Lunches & Snacks
- Transportation to/from Whistler
- Meals & Accommodation in Whistler
- Trip cancellation, travel & medical insurance
- Personal equipment (sleeping bag, skis, etc.)
- Extra days due to weather
- A $250 deposit is due upon booking
- The final payment due 60 days prior to the trip
- Trips subject to 5% GST
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver