Blacksheep Adventure Sports’ Squamish Classic AST 1 Course
Backcountry skiing, splitboarding and snowshoeing are exciting sports but without proper knowledge and annual retraining, enthusiasts often take unnecessary risks. Educate yourself with an investment in our AST 1 Course! Proper training will make your winter travels in avalanche terrain safer and more enjoyable. Our avalanche safety instructors are members of the Canadian Avalanche Association and Guides. Their extensive personal experience in winter guiding, avalanche operations and forecasting will add an extra dimension of interest to your training.
This classic AST includes 1 classroom day that is done as an online course & a zoom meeting followed by a field day. Designed to provide you a solid grounding in the essentials of avalanche safety while introducing you to the amazing backcountry ski areas around Squamish it’s perfect for people that plan to get out in the Sea to Sky.
This AST 1 course is base out of the Squamish and Whistler area, north of Vancouver. After you have completed the online learning at home we will do a brief classroom session on the first day before heading out into the backcountry for some hands-on learning. The exact location of the field day will be based on current conditions and weather but we often head into one of the common backcountry ski areas around Squamish such as Red Heather, Olson Creek, Metal Dome, etc.
Day 1 – Classroom Day:
- You will be provided with a log-in and password for an online learning course that covers all of the classroom related materials.
- The online course is then followed up by a 1-2hr Zoom meeting with your instructor.
Day 2 – Field Day:
- 8:00am: Morning Classroom Session
- 9:30am: Head out the door for a day of ski touring & learning
- 4:00pm: Back at meeting location for pm debrief
- Avalanche Canada Instructor & ACMG Certified Ski Guide
- Backcountry Avalanche Awareness Book
- Avaluator Booklet with Slope Assessment Field Card
- Companion Rescue Field Card
- AST 1 Certificate upon Successful Completion
- Transportation to/from meeting points.
- Personal ski & safety equipment (transceiver, probe & shovel, etc.).
- Rentals are available upon request
Equipment List: AST1