Join us for some Deep Pow on this amazing Japan Ski Touring vacation!
You’ve seen it in the movies, in friends FB videos and photos: Japan’s legendary cold smoke powder! Home to the finest steep and deep powder skiing in the world all wrapped up in a truly unique cultural experience. So grab the fattest touring skis or the widest split board you can find and join us for an Epic Japow Ski Safari!
For week 1 we’ll be based out of the small town Minakami, found a few hours north of Tokyo by train. From there we’ll make forays into the local mountains using the various ski lifts to gain access to some amazing backcountry ski runs through picturesque Japanese forests. We’ll also use the lifts to jump start some higher elevation ski touring and ski mountaineering.
For week 2 we’ll hit the powder highway on the island of Hokkaido for some amazing skiing and beautiful, natural onsen pools. With stops at various locations including Asahidake, Tokachidake and Feranodake you’ll get a well rounded look at what the less-touristy areas have to offer.
Sign up for either week depending on your preference – a bit steeper or a bit deeper. Or better yet, join us for both! But be warned, the area gets a massive amount of snowfall. In the event that the lifts at a local hill are closed due to weather or avalanche hazard (yes, that does happen!) don’t worry we’ll throw on the old skins and head on up for some tree skiing in the deep pow.
It snows pretty much every day here, day after day! And this daily accumulation of snow is deeper than what many popular ski areas see in a week. But what’s really amazing is the quality, we’re talking cold blower pow! So if you love undulating terrain, widely spaced deciduous trees, beautiful landscapes and consistent snowfall day-in and day-out then this is the trip for you.
Now half the fun of a Japanese ski touring holiday is checking out the local culture and of course the local food. Japanese apres ski culture always involves a long soak in an Onsen, a traditional natural hot spring, to ease tired muscles. That is followed by an amazing meal. Sushi, ramen, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, omo-rice and more might not mean much to you now, but they’ll soon become favorites!
Of course no foreign vacation is complete without sampling some of the local beer and spirits! Not to worry, Japan’s famous for its amazing Scotch and Sake, but of course it also has a booming craft brewery scene that begs to be sampled as well. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Foodie, fine beverage connoisseur or an avid skier just looking for some filling food at the end of a big day you will be more than happy with the local offerings.
The Itinerary, Week 1 Tenjin:
- January 14: Meeting in Tokyo & travel to Minakami
- January 15 – 19: Ski the resorts & mountains around Minakami
- January 22: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Tokyo
- January 21: Departure Day, Party’s over
The Itinerary, Week 2 Tenjin:
- January 21: Meeting in Tokyo & travel to Minakami
- January 22 – 26: Ski the resorts & mountains around Minakami
- January 27: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Tokyo
- January 28: Departure Day, Party’s over – or bump over to Hokkaido for week 3!!
Notes on Tenjin:
You will want to plan to arrive at Tokyo, Narita International airport on January 24th in the evening or the morning of the 25th. Most international flights from North America arrive in the late afternoon while European flights can arrive in the am. We’ll meet at 5pm and then travel to our hotel in Tokyo for the evening if you come on the 24th otherwise we will meet up the next morning. First thing in the morning we will take the trains to Minakami. Of course you can always just meet up with the crew in Minakami if you prefer. From there we check into our hotel and get ready to ski!
The train travel from Narita International to Minakami is as follows:
- Tokyo to TAKASAKI: SHINKANSEN MaxTANIGAWA (Bullet Train).
- TAKASAKI to Minakami: JR Joetsu Line (Regular Train)
Full train schedule can be found at: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
The Itinerary, Week 3 – Hokkaido:
- January 28: Arrive in Sapporo and drive to Asahikawa
- January 29: Ski some slack-country from Kamui Ski Links
- January 30: Ski the amazing volcano at Asahidake ropeway
- January 31 – Feb 2: Ski some slack-country at Furano Ski Hill / touring the Tokachidake & Furanodake
- February 3: Ski a half day in the am before traveling back to Sapporo
- February 4: Departure Day
You will want to arrive at the New Chitose Airport on January 27th & spend a night at the airport hotel if you’re arriving late. After a big day of travel the airport onsen and beds will be just what the doctor ordered. We’ll meet you at 10am at the hotel and start driving to our hotel in Asahikawa to get the party started.
A full-time Skiing, Mountaineering & Climbing Guide Monte calls Squamish, BC home. After graduating university with an engineering degree he found he wasn’t satisfied only chasing his passion for the mountains on weekends and evenings. This led him away from working behind a desk into a life of guiding, avalanche forecasting and movie/film safety work. Monte has since climbed and skied all over the world. In the summer he can be found guiding anything from remote mountain peaks to warm sun kissed rock across BC and Alberta. In the winter Monte splits his time between heli-skiing in Bella Coola and ski touring in Japan, the Coast Range and any other cool places he can find some powder. Photo: @Mountaindarlin
- ACMG/IFMGA Certified Guides
- Ground Transportation in Van
- 6 Nights Accommodation/trip
- Meals at the lodge in Minakami
- Onsen entrance (hot pools)
- Lift tickets
- Black Sheep Adventure Sports Swag
- Flights to/from or within Japan
- Train travel to/from Minakami for week 1
- Personal ski & safety equipment
- Lunches (we will make sure you have the opportunity to buy something)
- Meals outside of Minakami lodge
- Lodging in Tokyo & Sapporo
- Travel & Medical insurance
- A $1000 deposit is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 90 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- Room upgrades are subject to an additional fee.
- Prices are based on double occupancy.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.