Blacksheep Adventure Sports AST 1 Course
Backcountry skiing, splitboarding and snowshoeing are exciting sports but without proper knowledge, enthusiasts often take unnecessary risks. Educate yourself with an investment in our AST 1 Avalanche Skills Training Course! Proper training will make your winter travels in avalanche terrain safer and more enjoyable. Our avalanche safety instructors are full-time certified guides and professional members of the Canadian Avalanche Association. Their extensive personal experience in winter guiding, avalanche operations and forecasting will add an extra dimension of interest to your training.
This is a hands-on avalanche awareness training course featuring practical field experience augmented with one day of classroom theory and discussions. This avalanche ski training 1 course is designed to give a solid grounding in the essentials and is based on the requirements set out by Avalanche Canada.
Length: 2 days
Cost: $349 per person
Dates & Availability: TBD
This course is base out of Powell River. The classroom day is held in to the town of PR followed by a field day up in the local mountains. The exact location of the field days will be based on current conditions and weather but you can expect a longer day.
Day 1 – Classroom Day:
- 9:00am: Classroom Session
- 12:00pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00pm: Classroom Session
- 4:00pm: Day 1 wrap-up
Day 2 – Field Day:
- 7:30am: Morning Classroom Session
- 8:30am: Head out the door for a day of ski touring & learning
- 4:00pm: Back at meeting location for pm debrief
A full-time Skiing, Mountaineering & Climbing Guide Monte calls Squamish, BC home. After graduating university with an engineering degree he found he wasn’t satisfied only chasing his passion for the mountains on weekends and evenings. This led him away from working behind a desk into a life of guiding, avalanche forecasting and movie/film safety work. Monte has since climbed and skied all over the world. In the summer he can be found guiding anything from remote mountain peaks to warm sun kissed rock across BC and Alberta. In the winter Monte splits his time between heli-skiing in Bella Coola and ski touring in Japan, the Coast Range and any other cool places he can find some powder.
- ACMG Certified Guide/Instructor
- Backcountry Avalanche Awareness Book
- Avaluator Booklet with Slope Assessment Field Card
- Companion Rescue Field Card
- AST 1 Certificate upon Successful Completion
- Transportation to/from meeting points.
- Personal ski & safety equipment (transceiver, probe & shovel, etc.).
- Rentals are available upon request
- A $100 deposit per person is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment due 30 days prior to the trip.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.