Blacksheep Adventure Sports’ AST 1+ Course for Splitboarders
Splitboarding is a technical but very exciting sport that, with the proper knowledge, opens the door to some amazing terrain and riding. Educate yourself with an investment in our AST 1+ Avalanche Skills Training Course for Splitboarders!
Proper training will make your winter travels in avalanche terrain safer and more enjoyable. Our avalanche safety instructors are members of the Canadian Avalanche Association and Guides who splitboard. Their extensive personal experience in winter guiding, avalanche operations and forecasting will add an extra dimension of interest to your training. We will spend 2 full days in the field instead of the much more common single day. This will allow you more time to learn and get confident traveling in and around avalanche terrain.
This is a hands-on avalanche awareness training course featuring practical field experience augmented with a half day of self-directed classroom theory. Our AST 1+ Splitboard course is designed to provide you with a solid grounding in the essentials of avalanche safety while introducing you to the amazing sport of Splitboarding.
We will focus on interpreting the forecast as well as the Avalanche Canada public bulletin, assessing avalanche hazard and translating that into terrain recognition while out in the field, and using transceivers and conducting partner rescue.
In addition to the AST 1 curriculum we will also spend time learning the ins and outs of modern splitboarding equipment, various uphill travel techniques as well as the art of the change over! Please, make sure your skins are cut prior to the course.
This AST 1 course is based out of the Squamish and Whistler areas, north of Vancouver. After completing the online learning at home we will have a brief classroom session on the first day. We then head out into the backcountry for some hands-on learning. The exact location of the field day will be based on current conditions and weather. We often head into one of the common backcountry ski areas around Squamish such as Red Heather, Olson Creek, Metal Dome, etc.
Day 0.5 – Classroom Day:
- You will be provided with a log-in and password for an online learning course that covers all of the classroom related materials.
Day 2 & 3 – Field Days:
- 8:00am: Morning Classroom Session
- 9:30am: Head out the door for a day of splitboarding & learning
- 4:00pm: Back at meeting location for pm debrief
- Avalanche Canada Instructor
- Backcountry Avalanche Awareness Book
- Avaluator Booklet with Slope Assessment Field Card
- Companion Rescue Field Card
- AST 1 Certificate upon Successful Completion
- Transportation to/from meeting points.
- Personal ski & safety equipment (transceiver, probe & shovel, etc.).
- Rentals are available upon request
- A $150 deposit per person is required to secure a booking.
- The final payment is due 30 days prior to the course.
- Trips subject to 5% GST.
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance.
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies.
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver.