Summit the highest peak in Garibaldi Provincial Park!
At 2895m the aptly named Wedge Mountain is the highest summit in the Garibaldi Ranges and, of course, Garibaldi Park. If you’ve ever been to Whistler you have undoubtedly seen this towering peak. What you haven’t seen is the beautiful lakes and glaciers that hide on it’s northern flanks.
Mountaineering & Alpine Climbing:
While there is an easier route to the top Wedge, the NE Ridge is the ultra-classic route. It involves a glacier crossing that deposits your on a narrow rocky ridge that eventually leads up to a beautiful snow fin. A short but steep headwall then puts you on an absolutely amazing summit with views, on a clear day, all they way down to Mt. Baker!
If you still have a bit of energy and time you can stick around for an extra day and climb Mt. Weart! A traverse of this 2870m rocky peak accomplished by climbing up the SW Ridge via the Armchair Glacier to reach one of the best summit views around. Then descend the SE Ridge back down to Wedgemont lake and onto the valley for a well deserved cold beverage!
Day1 – Approach Day:
- 8:00am: Meet in Whistler
- 9:00am: Start the classic hike to Wedgemont Lake
- 2:00pm: Set-up Camp
- 3:00 pm: Alpine skills refresher near camp
Day 2 – Summit Day – Mt. Wedge:
- 5:00am: Breakfast & lots of coffee!
- 6:00am: Head up the Wedge Glacier
- 1:00 pm approx: Hike back to the valley or stay another night for Weart!
Day 3 – OPTIONAL Summit Day – Mt. Weart:
- 5:00am: Breakfast
- 6:00am: Start up towards the Armchair Glacier
- 12:30pm approx: Back at camp to pack up & hike out.
- ACMG Certified Guide
- Wilderness camping permit
- Technical gear rental (ice axe, crampons, helmet, etc.)
- Group equipment
- Black Sheep Adventure Sports hat
- Accommodation in the valley
- Personal equipment (boots, tent, etc.)
- Transportation to the trailhead (available upon request)
- Food (available upon request)
- Porter or Photographer