The mighty Mt. Columbia is the 2nd highest peak in the Canadian Rockies, the highest point in Alberta and #6 on the highest points in BC. While not a very technically difficult peak, Mt. Columbia is situated in the midst of the vast Columbia Icefield. An area notorious for bad weather and poor visibility. However, it’s also breathtakingly beautiful and a feather in any mountaineers cap!
What is the 10 Tallest Project? It refers to BC’s peaks and is exactly what it sounds like: Climb the 10 highest peaks in BC. Some are easy to reach and not overly technical while others are quite involved and seldom climbed. But each and every peak is worthy! The plan is to offer trips on a few of these amazing peaks every year until we’ve done them all! For more information on the 10 Tallest Project can be found here.
4-Day Trip Itinerary:
The weather and conditions will have a direct effect on our exact itinerary and of course we can’t promise blue skies. However, having a little flexibility in your schedule can really help. Regardless, we’re going to have a great time!
– Day 1: Meet for dinner in Lake Louise
– Day 2: Drive up to the Columbia Icefields & start up the Athabasca Glacier
– Day 3: Summit Day
– Day 4: Pack-up camp and ski back to the parking lot
Note: For an extra $150 per person we can stick around for an extra day and tag a few more summits like Kitchener and North Twin.
2-Day Trip Itinerary:
– Day 1: Meet at Golden Airport to fly in & set-up camp
– Day 2: Summit Day – With an early start we will tag the summit, pack-up camp and fly out.
This is an intermediate to advance ski mountaineering program. You must have some prior overnight winter camping experience and be an advanced intermediate downhill skier. If you’re unsure of your ability feel free to contact us to discuss the trip.
A full-time Mountaineering, Climbing & Skiing Guide Monte calls Squamish, BC home. After graduating university with an engineering degree, he found he wasn’t satisfied only chasing his passion for the mountains on weekends and evenings. This led him away from working behind a desk into a life of guiding, climbing and skiing. In the summer he can be found guiding anything from remote mountain peaks to warm sun kissed rock across BC and Alberta. In the winter Monte splits his time between heli-skiing in Bella Coola and ski touring in Japan, the Coast Range and any other cool places he can find some powder.
- Pre-trip planning & support
- ACMG/IFMGA Certified Guide
- Breakfasts & Dinners while in the field
- Group safety equipment
- Winter camping equipment (stoves, tent, etc.)
- Black Sheep Adventure Sports hat
- Personal equipment (some rentals are available)
- Lunches & Snacks
- Transportation to/from Lake Louise
- Accommodation in Lake Louise
- Trip cancellation, travel & medical insurance
- Personal equipment (sleeping bag, skis, etc.)
- Extra days due to weather
- A $250 deposit is due upon booking
- The final payment due 60 days prior to the trip
- Trips subject to 5% GST
- We highly recommend Travel & Medical insurance
- Be sure to look over our Booking Policies
- Participants will be required to sign a Waiver